I’ve been infatuated with crumble topping since I started baking. You can’t beat sugar, butter, flour, and salt. That’s all a crumble is, but it’s baked and turns a little crunchy.
It turns out, you can top anything with it. I thought it was exclusively for pies and muffins, but that’s just limited thinking. I added cocoa powder (yeah, chocolate crumble!!) and put it on top of these brownies and created my new favorite brownie. Ooey and gooey is no longer good enough for me; I need the crunch on top now, too.
If you’re a fan of amazing chocolatey flavor and varying textures in a dessert, you’ll love these.
Crumble Topped Brownies
These fabulous brownies are from Life Made Simple Bakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
½ cup brown sugar
8 tbsp butter, cubed and very cold
½ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ¼ cup sugar
11 tbsp butter
2 eggs, cold
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp. cornstarch
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extra
½ cup chocolate chips
For the crumble:
1. Place all of the crumble topping ingredients in a bowl and combine with hands or a fork until the mixture resembles sand. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
For the brownies:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter a 9×13 inch pan or line it with parchment. Set aside.
3. In a microwave safe bowl, add the butter and sugar. Heat until melted.
4. Remove, stir, and cool on the counter for 5 minutes, then stir in the vanilla extract and cocoa powder.
5. In the bowl of a stand mixer add the warm butter/sugar mixture. With mixing speed on low add one egg at a time, mixing just until incorporated.
6. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add dry ingredients to wet.
7. Mix until no flour pockets remain, but don’t overmix.
8. Remove bowl from stand and fold in the chocolate chips.Spread the brownie batter evenly into the prepared pan.
9. Evenly sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
10. Place in the oven and bake for 24-25 minutes or until you can place a toothpick in the middle of the brownies and it comes out clean.
11. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30-45 minutes before cutting and serving.