I love Italian food (I am Italian), but I’m vegetarian and it’s kind of a meaty class of food. I like to look for variations and this is one of them. However, my dad is 100% Italian and when I told him about these, he sounded disgusted. Sooo… I originally called these “Baked Italian Eggs,” but I suppose they’re not a “true” traditional Italian dish.
They are incredibly delicious, though. I tossed some broccoli in olive oil and a teaspoon of lemon juice and then sprinkled it with Parmesan and baked it for about 30 minutes to pair with the eggs. Oh, and some garlic bread, too. Oh my gosh… such an amazing meal. Highly recommend! Plus, it’s effortless!
(Sorry, the pictures I took of these were all terrible because I was eager to eat them, but I had to post the recipe. For fantastic pictures of the recipe, check out Damn Delicious.)
Baked Marinara Eggs
From: Damn Delicious
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1/8 cup shredded or grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 cup basil leaves, chiffonade (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a 10-ounce ramekin or coat with nonstick spray.
- Divide marinara sauce evenly into the ramekins. Top with eggs, milk, and Parmesan; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place into oven and bake until egg whites are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with basil leaves, if desired.