Sorry for the short hiatus. I’ve been out of town. Since I’m about to be a senior in college, none of my friends live at home anymore, so I took a little trip to go visit one of them.
We are obviously very mature college seniors.
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was really craving donuts, but when you crave donuts at 8 pm you’re usually SOL. This is one of the few times that baking as a hobby comes in handy.
I’m not really sure what I was thinking with this donuts because first, I tried to make them healthy with whole wheat flour, but then I ended up adding Funfetti cake mix. I’m a confused person and I apologize. Luckily confusion spawns yummy, cakey donuts.
To be honest, these just taste like cake in the form of donuts, but if it tempts you at all to make them, these are healthier than cake. Plus, who doesn’t love cake?
What’s your favorite donut?
Strawberry Funfetti Cake-y Donuts
Adapted from: Chocolate and Carrots
- 1 cup whole wheat
- 1 cup cake mix of choice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tsp strawberry extract
- ½ cup strawberries, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray the donut pan with canola oil spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, cake mix, sugar, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Either spoon the batter into the pan or put the batter into a large ziplock (or pastry) bag and squeeze into the pan, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom.
- Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for about 3 minutes before emptying out onto a cooling rack.