Yesterday I got to live a day in the life of my dream job.
Guy Klinzing, an amazing chef with a great sense of humor, came to conduct the Taste of Home Cooking Show in my hometown last night. I got to do all the behind the scenes work and it was suh-weeet.
Guy is from Chicago and not only does he work with the Taste of Home, he’s also an actor, singer, father, and puts on a hell of a cooking show! If you get a chance to go watch him, please do! As he says, he’ll “do anything to keep an audience from getting bored,” and I can attest to that. He’s a very silly guy.
I learned so much from Guy yesterday. The whole morning was spent prepping recipes for the evening and it went by so quickly. We prepped 10 recipes that Guy showed the audience how to prepare later that night. After helping with that, I really want to do it as a career. I think it would be so fun to meet new people and share with them something I’m passionate about. Plus, the days go by so quickly. Buuut, that’s just me dreamin’!
|“Guy Fieri” was there, too… haha!|
Although Guy gave us many delicious recipes, the one that I was most partial to was the Lemon Jelly Roll (plus it’s the one I helped make). I do NOT know how to work with egg whites. Seriously… I’ve tried recipe after recipe with egg whites and they’ve all been failures. Guy taught me yesterday to freeze your bowl first and use warm egg whites. You can imagine how excited I was yesterday when, on my first attempt, the egg whites formed soft peaks. He also said that if your egg whites aren’t forming right, just add a little bit of cream of tartar. See, I told you I learned a lot!! This cake was aweeesommmee!! So light and fluffy and the lemon flavor was perfect. Definitely a spring/summer recipe.
Lemon Jelly Roll
Taste of Home
- 9 egg whites
- 1-½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- Yellow food coloring, optional
- Additional confectioners’ sugar
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; lightly coat paper with cooking spray and set aside.
- Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in flour, about ¼ cup at a time.
- Carefully spread batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, peel and food coloring if desired. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Unroll cake; spread filling to within ½ in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving plate; sprinkle with additional confectioners’ sugar. Yield: 10 servings.
P.s. Go enter this rockin’ giveaway for a free bikini!! It’s so cute!!