All I know right now is that these are possibly the best cupcakes ever invented. I wish I could be the one to take credit for them, but that credit goes to lovestohost on All Recipes.
I made these cupcakes…cookies… cookcakes… for a friend’s birthday. She said she wanted a cake… with cookies in it. I’m sure she would agree that this is the best cupcake ever.
I followed the recipe to a tee and I even cheated and used box cake mix like the recipe calls for. I hate using box cake mix, but I was strapped for time and it was convenient. The only thing I did differently was add chocolate frosting, which I recommend!! The cookie dough doesn’t bake in these, because it’s frozen beforehand, but it gets all melty and gooey. I really need to broaden my adjectives… I’ll work on that if you guys please try this recipe!!
Gooey Surprise Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and sea salt; set aside. Beat the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until smooth. Add 1 egg and the vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Mix in the flour mixture until just incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips; mixing just enough to evenly combine. Form the dough into tablespoon-sized balls; place onto a baking sheet, and freeze until solid, about 2 hours.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Beat 3 eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer to break up. Add the cake mix, water, and canola oil; continue beating for 2 minutes on medium speed. Spoon into the prepared cupcake liners, filling each 2/3 full. Place a frozen cookie dough ball on the top center of each cupcake.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the cake portion of the cupcake (not the cookie dough ball) comes clean, about 16 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- 2 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift together powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter. Add in the vanilla.
- Alternate adding in the powdered sugar mixture and the milk until fully combined.
- Make a mess like me and pipe your frosting on. Or not… just use a knife.